Friday, June 27, 2008

my Birthday Girls

They were destined to be close sisters, my dear Mason is 10 today , Mason was always happy to be having a baby sister right from the start, Sophie was a bit of a surprise baby , we blamed it on our neighbour , he gave us a bottle of red wine and somehow I ended up pregnant , I remember having Mason go give her dad the positive pregnancy test pure shock , Mason was oppositely planned and planned.
Somehow Sophie and Mason were due to be born around the same time,Mason's origional due date was June 14th , she didn't arrive until the ungodly day of the 27th purely because it was 13 days past her due date , you may know how it is.
Sophie was due right around the 14th as well ,we tried to jump start my labour as MIDWIVES can sometimes be convinced to do with the dreaded STRETCH AND SWEEP"{Membrane sweep", also known as membrane stripping, or "stretch and sweep" in Australia and the UK - during an internal examination, the midwife moves her finger around the cervix to stimulate and/or separate the membranes around the baby from the cervix. This causes a release of prostaglandins which can help to kick-start labour.} doesn't that sound fun its not around it is in the cervix, it worked for Mason so we tried several times and no labour , after begging my midwife to get this wee Sophie out of me because I couldn't sleep and the daily pains were too much and my emotions were having the best of me ,it was hot and with no air conditioning I was clearly not going to survive, I wanted to have this kid and relax in the hospital for as long as they would let me .
Although we tried to keep the girls birthday's apart by at least a week it was fruitless, so I was schedueled to be induced on Mason actual birthday , if they were going to be close than why not the SAME day , so I stayed up June 25th and baked a lovely white cake for my daughter's 3rd birthday because I would be in the hospital having Sophie for her big day , at 1:00 am I laid down on the sofa to sleep or try , and I woke up about 4:00 with a POP , I got to feel my water break which I had always wondered about, problem I was on my white sofa , so I woke by leaping onto the floor so that I would not have to clean my sofa, so Sophie came into the world one day prior to her sisters birthday , guess she wanted her own day , she got it , Mason was born one minute to 11:00am on the 27th with her left hand on her cheek , Sophie was born one minute to 10:00 am the 26th with her right hand on her cheek , one day short of three years of course.
That is the story of my two birthday girls.




No comments: