Sunday, May 20, 2012

Our bedford grey kitchen

 I could barely wait to show how the kitchen turned out since I finally got around to painting the base cabinets, I still have a few touches like the kick plate so ignore those,ok.
This is the morning after a house full of family. 


 We were having an after party to the big party celebrating my Grandfather's 100th birthday . This is my OPA, my Mom's dad. He recently moved to our city to be closer to family, I thought it was a great decision. He now has his very own apartment , I hope I live as long as he is. He looked amazing , he was happy and he even got a special ride to the party in an old police car. The finance minister of Canada Jim Flaherty came by to present my Opa with some celebratory scrolls and thanked him a couple of times for all the taxes he has paid, ha ha ha, it was very special to all be there to celebrate such a momentous occasion.
My Mom kept a huge secret from me , my sister her husband and my niece all made the long trip from New Brunswick to be here, sneaky family. I was more than shocked. I hadn't seen them in 4 years.
I was working so hard on Friday painting cabinets and finishing up the back splash tiling , the house was an utter disaster. My hubby knew about the big secret and tried to put the house together and even told me to take a break . It was futile I was almost done I wasn't about to pack it all up, I don't know how I didn't suspect something. They pulled it off. Of course I looked a hot mess.
 Don't mind all the dishes in the sink...seriously its full of dishes . I swear. I love the sink . Glad we went with a really deep sink. This allows us to hide the mess and the spray back stays more within the sink because it so deep. Our pull-out faucet allows to easy cleaning too.

 I still need to install the handles on the pots drawers.

 Everything turned out fine with the counters.






This is how it looks today , I'm so happy to have it to this point of completion , the little final touches will get done in time. For now I am going to relax and enjoy the hot hot summer weather, our air conditioner is being installed tomorrow , and looks like just in the nick of time too.

Have a happy weekend , hope your is long like ours is. Bring on the fireworks and marshmallows.

So what was done to this kitchen?
-5" pine floors were installed
- floors were stained dark
- bulkhead set back gap was filled in and trimmed and crown moulding was added
- wine storage was added to balance out the over extended bulkhead
- upper cabinet to the right of the window was removed
- open shelving was added to the right of the range
- all cabinets were sanded , de-glossed , primed and painted
- new hardware was added to drawers
- double garbage pull out was added
- island was added onto to accommodate microwave
- island was clad with plywood and then covered with bead board , two decorative legs were added to add width
- trim was added to the island and it was painted a second shade of grey
- power was added to the island ( by installer)
- butcher block counter was added to the island , stained and protected
-  fridge built in was created and trimmed with crown moulding
- water line was run for the fridge ( by installer)
- open shelving was added to the right of the window
- bead board was added to the hutch area of the kitchen as well as brackets
- new wood shelves were added to replace laminate shelves in the hutch and they were painted
- bamboo blinds were installed
- range and gas line were installed ( by installer)
- large hood was installed ( by installer)
- brackets were installed to upper as well as a small valance to conceal bracket installation
- subway tile was added
- two industrial style pendants and chandelier were hung
- standard counters were removed and marble counters were installed ( by installer)
- large stainless steel sink was installed ( by installer)
- new faucet with pull out was added ( by installer )
- dishwasher ( by installer)
- second hand kitchen table was re-finished
- chalkboard was added

I think that is is as of today , it took me most of the past 11 weeks , I thought 6 weeks , wow was I wrong . I have a hard time estimating lengths of jobs!!!
That list tires me out.

37 comments:

Tricia said...

Looks lovely....we are about to embark on a kitchen redo ourselves. Love your ideas : o )

Elizabeth (Blue Clear Sky) said...

Your kitchen looks fabulous, Chris. You have worked so hard and it must feel great to be getting to the home stretch, in the kitchen at least. Knowing you, you have lots more planned. Congratulations to your Opa, what an accomplishment. My great aunt lived to 105th year.

Michelle @ Sweet Something Design said...

Chris, what a spectacular job you've done! I've been watching the progress and really, the end product is fantastic! Get some well deserved rest...and congrats to your Opa!

Wendi said...

Wow, amazing, Chris! You did it! I love it. What an inspiration you are and a great role model for your daughters.

Lori said...

It looks beautiful! I've been following all your work and the result is an amazing show of your efforts! Can't wait to see what you do with the rest of the house :-)

Valerie said...

You have incredible talents!!! I love your kitchen. Many, many happy years to you and your family in your new home!!

marty (A Stroll Thru Life) said...

Your kitchen is stunning. I love the size and wow, so pretty. Beautiful accessories also. Hugs, marty

JAG said...

You put contractors to shame!!! You are amazing. This turned out BEAUTIFUL!!!

Tammy said...

your beautiful kitchen makes me regret not being brave enough to go with what I really wanted marble and soapstone with gray cabinets!!!!

Wendy said...

wow, absolutely beautiful!

Ellen said...

I LOVE everything about your kitchen! It makes me want to do some updating in my own kitchen.

Jenna said...

Oh, Chris, it looks so fantastic!!! I can't believe it's the same kitchen. You have such an amazing eye and vision! Beautiful...

Razmataz said...

Totally transformed....well done.

unknown said...

Beautiful and Awesome!!!! Happy for your Opa and enjoy your long weekend:-)

unknown said...

Well done and beautiful! Congratulations to your Opa and enjoy
your long weekend :-)

unknown said...

Well done and Beautiful! Congratulations to your Opa. Enjoy your long weekend :-).

Sharon @ Elizabeth & Co. said...

Your new kitchen is absolutely stunning! I love everything about it!

Pine Tree Home said...

Just beautiful. All by yourself. Great work. Be proud.

LuvWheaties said...

You have a lot to be proud of. You have a beautiful home, unbelievable carpentry skills, and a grandfather who has made it to 100! Congratulations on all fronts!

LuvWheaties said...

You have a lot to be proud of. You have a beautiful home, unbelievable carpentry skills, and a grandfather who has made it to 100! Congratulations on all fronts!

Jake said...

First: Happy Birthday to O'Pa!! He looks great.
My hubby's sweet grandfather made it to 101. I loved him so much.

Second: Of course I love the kitchen! You had posted that you were sanding and painting but you didn't say it was in fast forward. ;) WOW! Girl can you move or can you move?! I would still be sanding the first cabinet. ha.

Congrats on all your hard work. It shows beautifully.

Jake's a Girl

Sara @ Russet Street Reno said...

Holy cow, how fabulous! I love the gray cabinets and those counters complement them perfectly. You should be so proud!

Decor Addict said...

Absolutely stunning! You should be very proud of yourself... what an accomplishment.

Your Opa looks great, may we all live to be a healthy 100!

Caitlin said...

I have been reading your blog for about three years now, haven't checked in for a while and wow! I don't know how you do it, do you ever sleep!? It looks amazing of course!!! You really are talented . Thank you for sharing I admire your work. I have three little kids and just built our home last year and I'm still trying to finish painting!!

Caitlin said...

I have been reading your blog for about three years now, haven't checked in for a while and wow! I don't know how you do it, do you ever sleep!? It looks amazing of course!!! You really are talented . Thank you for sharing I admire your work. I have three little kids and just built our home last year and I'm still trying to finish painting!!

Walking on Sunshine said...

Wow is the word,i love it congratulations.
Lulu

THE LOVE-BUNCH said...

I have been following your blog for a few years now, and am more and more impressed with your can-do attitude and you talent. The kitchen is amazing. You took builder basic and transformed it into something really extraordinary! Congratulations on all of your hard work!

Grace @ Sense and Simplicity said...

It looks fantastic. I love the gray with the white subway tiles. It's my idea of a dream kitchen too.

Happy birthday to your Opa.

Angela said...

Chris, love, love ,love the kitchen. The counters are beautiful! You have great vision. I am hoping to make my own chalk board soon. What type of molding did you use? I live in a rental and that is the only upgrade I can do here. hahaha

meeshw said...

This is my first comment but I have been following your blog for awhile. I am probably what you call a 'lurker' :) Since you moved into your home I have found myself going to your blog first just to see what you were able to accomplish next. I have been so impressed with your creativity, skills and eye for what looks good. I work in an office everyday and when I get a free moment going to your blog has brought many smiles in my sometimes long day at work. Your kitchen is really wonderful. Thank you for taking the time to document and share your talents with us. It is much appreciated!

Rose West said...

Your kitchen looks incredible! The chalkboard is such a cool idea. Happy Birthday to your Opa!

Jen @ RamblingRenovators said...

Just catching up now Chris... I am seriously in love with your kitchen!! It looks stupendous. And how wonderful you could christen it with a big family celebration. Wishing you many happy family meals in that kitchen!

Brenda said...

I want to say that I think your kitchen "makeover" is absolutely stunning! I can't believe that you could turn standard boxed cabinets into something so beautiful! It's inspiring! I do have a question for you. Are yo painting the cabinets with a brush or spraying and what kind of paint are you using? I think I read in a previous post that you hate Melamine?
Best of luck with the rest of your renos! Can't wait to see them!

Just Beachy said...

Brenda,
I use latex paint after sanding de-glossing and priming the cabinets. I use a angled brush and foam roller for the finish coat. I do three coats of paint usually.

NicNacManiac said...

Outstanding work here Christine! Every detail done the way only you can!! Bravo!
Love the new banner by the way!
Cheers!
Nerina

Becky Caudill said...

The Bedford Gray is gorgeous. I've been thinking about painting our white cabinets another color and your kitchen really has me inspired.

decks canada said...

Outstanding work here wowwww.I love your kitchen. Many, many happy years to you and your family in your new home!!