Sunday, June 9, 2013

working on the home front

 I have finally started working on some more projects at home including a big run of built ins for Sophie's room. It was always the plan to do this in here room so I listed her white dresser on Kijiji an used the funds from the sale to fund this project.
I know it looks rough here but this is just the start, I was just dry fitting the boxes. There is a lot of work still to be done. I am going to make nice thick wood tops for everything with a routered edge. There will be drawers and a tall tower of shelves to the left side. I am pretty excited for the end result.
                                                                         

*Edited to add some progress photos . Today I installed the cabinets and topped them with wood which will get another edge piece to make it look like a 2" tops with a square edge. I was going to use thicker stock but they didn't have the length I needed so I adapted. The lower portion bench is almost 9' so I used thinner 10' pine boards. It will all be painted as per Sophie's wishes. 
Next steps are adding more shelves, face framing and trimming out the ends with a nice detail, then moving on to baseboard trim and adding a vent grill and a nice crown moulding and then a whole lot of painting...

                                                                         
Just to show you how far simple boxes can come these built ins I did last year also looked like the boxes in the photo above so there is hope.
Here is a little inspiration photo of where I am going 

 I have also been working away on my other daughter Mason's bathroom. I framed out the shelves around here mirror with a very thin pieces of poplar as I didn't want to add too much weight to the frame.
 Lots more storage to keep things organized and at hand.
 My next challenge was to help clear the counter and to add some appeal to the big base cabinet. I will be painting the doors for sure then I thought it was best to add drawers to one of the cabinets.
I can probably do that , right?


 So I learned how to make drawers , finally. And it was easy. This will really help get this bathroom in shape.
I just need to add the drawer fronts and hardware and a nice foot detail and paint it all.... it's gonna take me a couple of weeks I'm sure. I went to a local cabinet door maker and they will have the drawer fronts made to match the other doors for under $75.00 which is amazing. No one will ever know that the drawers were an after thought.

I am now going to incorporate drawers a lot more often.

So that is what I have been up to, oh and working on getting our backyard project under way. Looks like our custom hot tub project will be starting in August, that's exciting.

I hope you are enjoying some lovely summer weather where you are, looks like this Sunday is going to be beautiful I am am going to definitely enjoy it, I hope you will too.


No comments: