Tuesday, October 16, 2012

Mill work details

 Now that I have recovered from our recent vacation I need to re-focus my attention back towards home projects. I will admit I suffered a little (actually a lot ) burn out after the major kitchen renovations I did , how could I not be burnt out , it was all I did for three months. But I am ready to make some improvements again.
My focus this week is the main hall transitions, I had always thought they would be a great place to add some mill work. The trouble with mill work is just deciding which way to go , there are too many options. I want to do it right and do what is right for the house, so I have struggled with decision making the most.
I had thought to dress both transitions but the kitchen transition is too big and difficult to figure out, so I will just do the one , looks like it will be just enough.
 I decided yesterday to dive right in and tackle this little opportunity for some special trim. I'm about half way through , hopefully I will be able to start the priming later today.
 Just need to add the crown moulding to the top of the header after I sand everything out with the orbital sander , its gonna be messy.


 I decided to most closely copy the trimmed pillars as seen here in this H&H, magazine image. This home is such an inspiration for my home , I love this show home from 2010. http://houseandhome.com/design/guide/2010-princess-margaret-showhome
 It was difficult however to decide what kind of transition to create. Love this look also.

 And this one , clean and shaker, gorgeous.http://www.tiekbuilthomes.com/daybreak-befores-and-afters/
 After I complete this small project , I will move onto our bathroom , where I will  frame out the builder mirror. In the meantime I will try to nail down a plan for the family room to move forward. I have decided to focus my mill work efforts towards the ceiling and not the walls. I am really loving the white walls and trim.
I am going between beams with v-groove, or a simple design of coffer. Neither will be simple to accomplish but won't it be beautiful?
image found on pinterest

 http://www.stayathomeista.com/   I am loving this dining room and the beams , what a wall colour, I am in love with rich deep tones for the dining room, I think I am gonna give it a try for ours.
For the dining room I am also thinking coffered ceiling and wainscoting, but what kind of wainscoting. This is a contender above.
 Maybe this for one wall in the family room ?
 Gorgeous deep dark walls.
Here is the second option for our family room....beautiful...
Maybe I keep simple coffer like this for the dining room and beams and v-groove for the family room. Help , it's just so hard to decide. 


No comments: