Friday, March 30, 2018

Our white wood laundry room makeover


I recently completed a very necessary makeover in our basement...our teeny tiny laundry room...and I mean tiny, the ceiling height is a cozy 6'3...

I had a few must haves on my list for this room...I wanted to stack the washer and dryer if possible so that I could add lower cabinets and our wine cooler....we were able to stack them with less than 1" to spare...I re-located some cabinets from the family room kitchenette to the laundry room and performed some magic to make them look like new custom cabinets and I built new shaker doors...
I found the sink on a re-sale used items site for $20...it wasn't the farmhouse sink I really wanted but this had to be low budget makeover...




 The sink is an Ikea sink...remember $20 used...I really think it works with this room and the modern farmhouse vibe it has...the counter I built from 1.5" pine boards I laminated and stained this light color...which is quite a departure for me...
Since this room is so small and lacks lighting I wanted to just go for it with the color...why not branch out of my comfort zone and try some gorgeous green...and I love it...I used to tell everyone to keep the door closed because the room was an eyesore before....I wanted it to be open door beautiful. 
The wine cooler fits perfectly, my husband thought it was a weird location for it but it works....it usually full of beer...

I saw this print at Homesense during this project and thought it was so sweet...but where would it go??? the day later I couldn't stop thinking about it and it occurred to me that this was the perfect spot for it...and lucky me I went back to find it a couple of days later...


can you believe these cabinets are the re-faced cabinets from this kitchenette below...
a bit of face frame a pretty toe kick and new shaker doors...its like new.



this tile made the biggest impact...although some people have tired of this bold designed tile I love it, its been used around the world for years and has in recent years become very popular...sadly it has been mostly out of reach due to the high cost of cement tiles like these, luckily these ones I found at Lowes for .99 cents a tile...they are really nice, I loved the design and knew they were right for the vibe that I wanted ....they are actually clay tiles...it took me 56 tiles to complete my wall...that was such a bargain...plus I found a forgotten Lowes gift card for $200 that I used to buy the tile and supplies and the gorgeous simple Delta faucet....

I had wanted upper cabinets here but because of the space the lighting location and the sink location uppers didn't work...it would have had too many things off center...that wasn't going to work for me. 
so I nixed the uppers, I bought a double light for the sconce and added a reclaimed wood shelf for decor purposes...I used no more nails to adhere this shelf and decorated it with faux succulents. 


The location of the laundry room is right at the bottom of our stairs from the side entrance right off of our family room.

so we successfully stacked the washer and dryer and framed it in with a gable I made from a cut down sheet of MDF...that was $28 

tiling and supplies...free due to the gift card but would have cost around $80 

this awesome amazon light was $55...

here is the laundry room before...fine but not the pretty room with maximized storage I envisioned...it became a catchall for things that had no place...I hate that.

when we went to stack the dryer we found that plug was about an inch too low....so close...my husband simply moved it up and couple of inches and we were good to go....


I installed a flex hose to the dryer and we were off and running...

here is the old kitchenette on the other wall just outside of the laundry room...it had a redundant sink that was never used and it simply ate up so much space and it was not like anything I would have designed, I considered re-designing it but the longer living with it the more I knew we needed it removed...so we capped off the water lines and removed the whole thing...after doing so it is obvious for us this was the right thing to do...the connections are still there if ever needed...

I just wanted to show you don't have to spend a fortune to create a nice space...you can re-do things and make them what you want and achieve great design without compromise...I now love all the elements of our new laundry room. 

I hope you enjoyed my little laundry room makeover tour, thanks for stopping by. 




2 comments:

Nicole Sandy said...

It looks great! You're so talented

Unknown said...

Love the color choice